Thursday, August 2, 2012

MUGA Scan and Wig Shopping

Hi all,

So today was a long day. I went back to the doctor early afternoon because I have to get a baseline test done of my heart. Its called a MUGA scan, which just makes me think of muggles from Harry Potter. :)


It wasn't too bad... they put yet another IV in my arm and took some blood. Then the girl brought it back somewhere and mixed it with some type of radioactive agent, and 25 minutes later re-injected it into my body. The scan wasn't bad at all, it was actually quite relaxing. Nic got to sit with me the entire time so it wasn't bad at all, except that the IV hurt quite a bit because I've been stuck so many times in the past week. The technician seemed to think that everything looked good in my heart (it tests the ventricle function to make sure that your heart is pumping blood efficiently). She said that she couldn't say for sure until they looked at it a little further, but she seemed fine on it. They do this test to make sure your heart is strong because a side effect of that Pertuzumab is that in very few women, it messes with your heart function. Lets hope that is not my problem!

After the doctor, Nic and I went to Versacchi in Owings Mills to talk to them about wigs. I'm probably going to be losing my hair within two weeks, but they seem confident that they can have a wig made up for me in time. Everyone there was so nice and compassionate, and they showed me some sample wigs that looked amazing! They are going to make me a wig that looks almost exactly like my current hair cut and color, so that makes me really happy. They say that its not the vanity of the hair, but just the normalcy that comes from looking at your self in the mirror and feeling like you are still you. I'm really excited about these women there. I even found out that I went to school with the receptionist, and they were awesome enough to give me a bit of a discount for "friends and family". SO AWESOME :) But to be straight, wigs like this are EXPENSIVE. Like, whatever you are thinking an expensive wig costs, you should probably at least double it, if not triple it. The place I ordered mine from was not as expensive as the other place I called today, but the first place I called quoted me "more than the baseline of $2000, possibly up to $3000, since I'll need custom work to make it look like my own hair". I am stoked to go with Versacci though, the place rules, and these are not your wigs from sally's. This wig is gonna look just like my own hair, and feel like it (though a bit thicker since this is my chance to have thick hair :)), so its totally worth the cost.

Nic and I then went to Smyth so I could see my co-workers and say "see ya later" for about three weeks. My doctor thinks that I should cut out of work for at least the first round of chemo to see how I handle it. I love my old department and my new department at work, so it was really wonderful to hug everyone and get to chat for a bit. My boss, my coworkers showed me so much love and understanding. I wish I could still see them every day. <3

Nic and I then went to get some chicken, naked juices, and lots of peppers, carrots and veggies from Fresh Market. Right next to fresh market was a really awesome Yoga shop, so I decided that I was going to get some Chemo clothes. I mean, if you have to go through this, you might as well be super comfy, and what is more comfy than yoga clothes? They're always super expensive, but I'm stoked and it'll be nice to wear them tomorrow.

I know this is getting long, if anyone is still hanging in there, here is the plan for tomorrow:

Chemo class and then Chemo (which will be a number of hours). I'll be getting loading doses of the drugs so I think it will take a little longer than normal. Its scary, and I hope I don't feel too sick from it (although they tell me that you usually feel sick a few days or so out, not the first days).

ALSO, I found out that I am in fact BRCA positive. Its a gene mutation in Ashkenazi women. (European Jewish Background) It greatly increases your risk of Ovarian and Breast Cancer, especially in young women. This is probably the reason I developed cancer.

I'll post tomorrow and let everyone know how it went (as long as I'm feeling good.)

Nic bought me a little stuffed lamb that looks JUST like Biko, so she is my new Chemo Lamb. I'll be taking her with me.

So, until tomorrow, LOVE YOU <3, Linds

No comments:

Post a Comment