Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Diagnosis

Hello there loved ones. I'm starting this blog for two reasons. One, it will be a way to keep everyone informed of what is going on with my health and treatment, and Two, I hope it will be a way to help me keep my head on my shoulders by getting out some of my feelings. I'm sort of short on words right now, but here is the lowdown of what I've recently found is happening silently inside of my body:

I had elective surgery two weeks ago to remove a benign mass from my breast. While my wonderful surgeon was in there, he found two other suspicious looking masses and removed them. They were biopsied and a week later I learned that I have breast cancer.

On Monday I had a CT and PET scan, along with a MRI of my breasts. I went in yesterday for my results. I found out that the cancer had somehow bypassed my lymph nodes and just spread through my blood to my liver. I have four tumors on my liver.

I go into the hospital today to meet with the oncologist, and I should be starting chemotherapy on Friday. Within a matter of two weeks, my whole world has been turned upside down. I mean, I just got married two months ago. It feels like I've been gutted. I have to say goodbye to my hair, goodbye to my current routine and carefree living, and I have to fight with everything I have to keep my life. I want to stay alive.

I have the most loving and devoted husband, the most wonderful family a girl could ask for, and amazing and supportive friends. I'm lucky I don't have to go through this alone, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't terrified.

So please help me surround myself with love and positivity, because those will be my best weapons against this disease. I have too many plans and I want to live to see many more decades.

I don't want the people who love me to have to suffer that kind of loss.

I'm 28 years old and I have stage IV breast cancer. Thats a really hard one to wrap my head around but I'm choosing to fight.

----------

Here is a photo from the happiest day of my life, just to offset the gloom. :)


21 comments:

  1. Love you so much, Linds. This gave me the chills and a heavy heart, but your love for living inspires me. Breast cancer, shmeast shmancer. You've got this <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you can feel the prayers and positive energy coming from Wisconsin! John and I send you light and love, and we'll send it daily. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you guys.. I really appreciate your love and support. I miss you two, I hope we get to spend some time together again one day soon :)

      Delete
  3. Lindsay, you are one remarkable woman. i stand in awe. i am sending you all of my positive energy and love. Michelle McMacken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Michelle. It is much appreciated :)

      Delete
  4. Lindsay, we have you on our minds and in our hearts. We know you will get past this curve ball that life has thrown you. You are not alone! Stay strong and remember that you have a world of people supporting you and sending you love. Melissa McMacken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, Melissa. It means so much to me to hear things like this. I will stay as positive as I can and absorb all of the love that is being sent my way. Thank you <3

      Delete
  5. Dear Lindsay, i have a roster of the most illumined in my life rooting for you and your family, holding you in light and strength. Together we'll all come through. My love, MarĂ­a.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria. I am grateful for your love and energy! I hear you are coming over tomorrow night, I'll be quite happy to see you :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Lindsay! You don't know me but I went to high school with Nick. I read this and felt like I had to comment. My little brother was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer 2 years ago and he fought like hell and is now back to living his life like a normal teenager :) From what I can see, you've got this! Linds vs. Cancer......Lindsay 1--Cancer 0!!!! You are in my prayers, stay strong, and stay positive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I really appreciate your message of encouragement :) I will do my best to kick this cancer's butt! I had my first round of chemo today, so i'm going to do my best to visualize the drugs just annihilating the tumors in my body.

      I'm glad that your brother is doing really well :)

      Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  7. Lindsay, We are so very sorry to hear about all that has been happening! We will be thinking about you and Nick and keep you in our thoughts and prayers...lots of positive thoughts being sent your way! Don't hesitate to call if you or Nick need ANYTHING at all!!!! We love you guys -Dan and Ashley Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you guys, I appreciate your message, it has definitely put a smile on my face :) i hope all is well with you two. Nic and I are gonna fight as hard as we can to beat this thing so we can go on being together for a long long time <3

      Delete
  8. Love and Prayers to you and Nick from Family in Wisconsin. You will win! Margaret, John, Lou & Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you guys for the love :) I really appreciate it. The more love I feel, the more positive I become, and I know that is my best defense against this disease.

      Love you guys <3

      Delete
  9. Hello from the Keetons in Hutchinson, KS. You don't know us at all, but we are friends with Nancy Leu (how that can be is a story in itself). Anyway, my wife Jessica found out December 2011 (at age 33) that she had DCIS. After a bilateral mastectomy, chemo, and reconstruction, things are finally starting to settle back into a routine. We are both pharmacists, and would be more than happy to help in any way we can. Whether it be drug information, info on clinical trials/studies, or access to patient assistance programs, we are here to help. It's our turn to start paying back all of the good we received from random people when she was diagnosed. You can facebook friend us if you use that service.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I should add that this is Mark and Jessica Keeton. Names come in handy if you decide to search us out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Lindsay1, This is the mom of Lindsay2. My daughter told me your news, she struggled to say the words. Sweetheart, you are showing us all how it's done. I am nearly 5 years past my BC diagnosis, but it was stage one; amateur night compared to your curve ball. You are just blowing me away with your spirit. Be fierce. Be yourself. You are very good at summoning your happy thoughts, and I hope that some of them might come from your memories from the cross-country drive shared by L1 and L2 a few years back. I think that puppets were involved. :) Everyone loves you. Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Linds. We had a great visit.
    Stay strong. You have lots of people pulling and praying for you.
    Love always,
    Mary and Joe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lindsay, my daughter Adrianne (Clark-Conley)has mentioned you several times over the last couple of years. She told me of your plight and your positive attitude. You are an amazing woman. I know you are an inspiration for her when life throws her curve balls, but nothing like what you are going through. I see why she counts you as a friend.

    From New Hampshire we look forward to a positive outcome in all this.

    Jay Conley

    ReplyDelete